Sunday, February 6, 2022

Blog Post #1 - Five News Sources

    As a broadcast journalist, I have been able to see the importance of news first-hand. Also, I know how important it is to consume information from multiple sources. Therefore, I gain my news from these five sources:

*Links embedded in titles*

The New York Times

    Call me old-fashioned, but I find that the older journalism brands seem to have the most reliable information. The New York Times was founded in 1851 and is one of the most popular news sources due to the fact that the older methods of journalism are still present within the organization today. While I don't go to The Times for my entertainment news, I have found that its political page is both informative and unbiased.

BBC

    With my passion of broadcast television, I have done a lot of personal research into TV news organizations. BBC is one of my favorites due to the way they run their programs. Not only are the segments informative, but they are also engaging. Being creative in storytelling is incredibly important and it is something I strive to meet with every beat I tackle.

PBS NewsHour

    Over the last few years, I have done a lot of work with PBS NewsHour's Student Reporting Labs. Through this work, I have been able to learn a lot about how PBS creates its shows. While I have noticed that there is not as much creativity as BBC's work, I specifically love PBS NewsHour. Not only is Judy Woodruff an amazing journalist and anchor for the show, but the stories almost always end with you feeling good about the world. Take that as you will, but I enjoy feeling good about the world.

NBC

    From the moment I started watching the news with my parents, I watched NBC News. Specifically, NBC Nightly News because that was on when everyone was home from school and work. Now more than ever, I feel that NBC is an incredibly informative and engaging source of news. Lester Holt is one of my favorite journalists of all time, because he is able to pull emotion from even the most boring stories. Therefore, I very much enjoy watching and reading NBC News.

VICE News

    Although it is not the most widely noticed news source, VICE is one of my favorite organizations. This is due to the fact that many of the reporters are young. With young reporters, I find that there is much more creativity and intrigue in the storytelling process. At this age, reporters are very invested in every story they tell, thus, VICE's segments are usually quite in-depth and interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #12 - Walter Cronkite

Early Life In 1916, Walter Cronkite was born in St. Joseph Missouri. As a little boy, he realized he wanted to become a journalist by readin...